Sometimes we get really stressed at work. We’ve all been there, whether we work in an office or not. Too much to do and not enough time, or working with others who are not completely committed to the cause. Whatever the problem, we can get worked into a stress.
Practicing simple breathing meditation for 15min each day will result in a calm feeling in the mind
We deal with problems much better when we’re feeling less stressed, more relaxed and with a clear mind.
Practicing a simple breathing meditation for 15min each day will result in a calm, spacious feeling in the mind and cause many of our usual problems to fall away.
1. Sit in a comfortable position with your back straight and relaxed. Rest your hands in your lap, partially close your eyes and let all your stress and tension fall away.
2. Turn your attention inwards and become aware of your breathing. Don’t attempt to control your breathing – just become aware of it, and follow the inhalation and exhalation of your breath.
3. Gradually become aware of the sensation of the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. Focus on the sensation of the breath and try to forget about everything else.
4. Remain focused on the sensation of the breath. If your mind wanders, let go of the distraction and come back to the breath.
5. Gradually your distracting thoughts will subside and you will begin to experience a sense of inner peace and relaxation. Stay with this feeling of mental calm for a while.
John is a qualified Kadampa meditation teacher. Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre runs weekly classes at over 20 London venues