I like to keep breakfast simple both technically and from a culinary perspective so this recipe reflects that. And since both the asparagus and watercress happen to be in season why not include them for extra flavour?
Angus cooks at the vegan Gallery Café in St Margaret’s House. St Margaret’s House is a unique charity supporting community, good works, creativity & wellbeing in London’s Bethnal Green.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 tbsp sliced red onion
- 4-5 spears blanched asparagus roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls watercress roughly chopped
- 150 grams tofu, minced with fingers
- 4 tbsp grated vegan cheese
- 2 sliced thick cut brown bread, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- On low to medium heat toast cumin seeds in a dry pan until fragrant
- Increase to medium heat and add olive oil, red onion, asparagus, tofu, watercress, salt and pepper and stir occasionally until just hot
- Stir in vegan cheese
- Serve on toast
Note: this will result in a scramble with slightly crunchy asparagus. If you like it tender then cook the asparagus a little in the oil before adding other ingredients (step 2)!